5.5.09

La Perdida

La Perdida was the first graphic novel I have ever read and at first I was feeling a little hesitant about it, but also excited to explore something new. At times I found myself reading the novel as I normally would, by ignoring the pictures and just focusing on the content of the written words. But I tried to keep reminding myself to also look at the pictures and consider their content and sometimes they proved to be surprisingly helpful.
Overall, I enjoyed the story line. I thought it was interesting that Carla wanted to pursue her Mexican heritage but it made me wonder why she had to do it so desperately? I mean, completely up and leave and move to Mexico with no real idea of what you're doing? That almost seems like she's running away from something rather that trying to run through to it.
The loving relationships in this novel were interesting. From the get go I didn't like Memo's character and his relationship with Carla and thought he was on a type of power trip with her. I also found it strange when he hit on her, because it seemed like there was such a large age gap and it seemed that most of the time he didn't really like her. Carla's boyfriend (whom I can't remember his name at the moment) seemed like just a low life bum and she should have dumped him a long time ago, especially rather than moving in with him.
One part in the novel that I questioned was how could Carla be so naive about Harry's kidnapping, especially after she gave all of his information to all her "friends"? I like to think I would have been more aware and that it wasn't just coincidental timing that after she talked about him he was kidnapped. I can't imagine what it would feel like to eventually find out her circle of friends was wrapped up in it and then brings the crime to her own house and involves her in it. Being captive in your own home must feel much worse than just being held captive. I think it was smart of her to leave a note for her brother's friend but also a long shot since she just dropped it on the street. I wonder if she would of had more of chance of help when they still required her to go to work?
Overall, I enjoyed the novel and found the graphic novel set up to be interesting and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment